Guidelines for InterPlay
Racial Equity & Transformation
Mini Grants 2020
Download a pdf version of the guidelines.
Dear InterPlay Leaders:
We hope that you, your families and circles of care are in good health and safety during these challenging times. We realize that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the ways in which we gather, convene and play have altered dramatically. We also appreciate that the livelihoods of many, particularly creatives, community and cultural workers, has been increasingly compromised. We also know that the practice of InterPlay, rooted in body wisdom forms and tools, is a remarkable asset during times of crisis—creating space for body connection, expression, ease, grace and grounding—all held in community. It is for this reason, at this time in particular, that the Racial Equity Committee and Body Wisdom Board, commit to providing grants to support Leaders in offering workshops that uphold the values of InterPlay and racial equity and transformation.
The Racial Equity and Transformation Committee, a board committee of InterPlay Body Wisdom, Inc., is putting out a call to the wider InterPlay community and inviting all InterPlay Leaders to enliven the Racial Equity and Transformation Statement in your offerings and activities. The RET Committee sees the support and development of these gatherings as one expression of IntePlay’s Racial Equity & Transformation commitment to “sew cultural competency into the fabric of our teaching, training, communications, and outreach”. This is a way for InterPlay Leaders to contribute to the programmatic work that leads to deeper authentic partnerships that create new ways of living and being, and creates more space to “draw out people’s embodied wisdom and personal stories.”
To embolden Leaders to play with and explore integration of the Racial Equity Transformation Statement by:
- creating opportunities for Leaders of every color, race and nationality to enliven and integrate the InterPlay Racial Equity and Transformation statement within your InterPlay communities of play using InterPlay forms and tools
- strengthening relationships between InterPlay leaders and new people/organizations from their community to explore issues of racial equity and transformation from diverse perspectives and engagement in social/economic justice and change
- fostering community collaborations among and between InterPlay Leaders and your communities, to deepen the understanding of how to better co-exist in the changing landscape of global societies and how to thrive alongside one another
- increasing access to professional development opportunities, learning exchanges and resources sharing among leaders based on experiences through RET funded grants
- strengthening InterPlay’s reach throughout the USA and internationally by increasing the capacity of Leaders and Leaders of Color to better support the overall InterPlay vision, mission and values
InterPlay Leaders are invited to explore ways to engage the InterPlay Racial Equity and Transformation Statement into your play communities, and/or with people and organizations that are connected to the spirit of InterPlay and racial equity. The activities will ultimately be what you feel are unique and most effective in your context and communities. Leaders are encouraged to seek out LOC/BIPOC coordination and participation of activities that take place.
We invite a wide and creative scope of ways in which the offerings/activities take place—from workshops and gatherings to installations and creative inquiries. Given COVID-19 we appreciate that new and creative modes of engaging the community virtually or from a distance are necessary. There are resources and support available to assist in the transition from in-person to social distancing forms of engagement—such as tutorials on how to lead InterPlay online, 1-on-1 support from RET Committee coordinator/members on leading online, request of funds to access a zoom account, etc.
Possible offerings could include, yet are not limited to:
- Hosting a workshop with your current InterPlay community to engage in ideas presented within the statement (online during COVID days)
- Hosting a workshop with your current InterPlay community to engage in An activity that invites diverse cultures, mixed-race, intergenerational/multicultural play and which encourages participation among youth, elders, LGBTQ, people of colour, indigenous and more to connect (online during COVID days)
- Connect and collaborate on an initiative or workshop with a local organization that is connected to the spirit of InterPlay and racial equity (online during COVID days)
- An activity in a local college, high school or religious institution where InterPlay and RET principles and values are welcome (online during COVID days)
- Public/online art installation, performance, collaborative creative inquiry/study
- Applicants are InterPlay Certified Leader or Leader-in-Training
- If you are an Leader-In-Training, your application is supported by a Certified Leader, to support the spirit of on-going mentorship and support in your offering
- The project is co-created and co-lead with BIPOC leaders—this means that Black Indigenous, and People Of Color (BIPOC) InterPlay leaders/community collaborators, and their body wisdom, are a guiding presence in the offering from inception to completion. We are open to projects that include white leadership as part of a multiracial team, in deep partnership with leaders and collaborators of colour.
2020 Grant Schedule & Deadlines
The Racial Equity and Transformation committee will fund a minimum of (10) Racial Equity and Transformation grants ranging from $250-$1000 over the 2020 grant period. Below is a detailed schedule of the 4 grant cycles for 2020. Each cycle includes an application deadline, RET Committee Review Period, and notification date. Each grantee has a full year to complete grant activities and an additional 30 days to submit a final report.
Please Note: Applicants can apply for more than one project per cycle, and can apply for all 4 cycles. However, preference will be given to funding first-time applicants.
- Application Due: Friday, May 1, 2020 at 11:59pm EDT
- Review Period: Monday, May 4, 2020 through May 31, 2020
- Notify Grantee: June 1, 2020
- Period for Funded Grant Activities: June 15, 2020 through July 31, 2021
- Final Report Due: 30 days after the completion of the project & no later than August 31, 2021
- Application Due: Monday, July 1, 2020 at 11:59pm EDT
- Review Period: Monday, July 6, through July 31, 2020
- Notify Grantee: August 1, 2020
- Period for Funded Grant Activities: August 15, 2020 through September 30, 2021
- Final Report Due: 30 days after the completion of the project & no later than October 31, 2021
- Application Due: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 at 11:59pm EDT
- Review Period: Monday, September 7, through September 30, 2020
- Notify Grantee: October 1, 2020.
- Period for Funded Grant Activities: October 15, 2020 through November 30, 2021
- Final Report Due: 30 days after the completion of the project & no later than November 30, 2021
- Application Due: November 1, 2020 at 11:59pm EDT
- Review Period: Monday, November 2, through November 30, 2020
- Notify Grantee: December 1, 2020
- Period for Funded Grant Activities: December 15, 2020 through December 31, 2021
- Final Report Due: 30 days after the completion of the project & no later than January 31, 2022
RET Statement & Forms
Please review the InterPlay Racial Equity and Transformation Statement.
RET Mini-Grants Application Form
RET Mini-Grants Final Report Form
Both the application & report form are Google forms which are submitted directly online. We suggest writing and saving your responses in a word file before cutting, pasting and submitting your form.
Download a pdf version of the guidelines.